I'd to a NASCAR race before, but in September I went to my first Formula 1 (F1) race in Singapore. The Singapore Grand Prix is unique because it's a night race, and basically an entire weekend of parties (i.e. concerts and racing events) and was a lot of fun. I ended up purchasing Premier Walkabout tickets for all 3 days.
These tickets were ideal for me, since I don't like having restrictions as to where I can go and I wanted to be able to travel from Zones 1-4 easily. As an added bonus, these tickets also gave me the opportunity to ride the Singapore Flyer for free.
How could I pass up the opportunity to see the track and the views of Singapore at night, when the trip was gratis? I couldn't.
As for the highlights of the weekend here goes:
- Sebastian Vettel won the race. For those of you that have no idea, here are some details about him:
- He's German
- Races for Red Bull Racing
- Current World Champion
- I saw Rick Astley perform in concert. Here are my 3 cents on this experience. **** Why 3 cents, you ask? Because I have more sense than the average person and I'm louder.
- If you are a man and you're not there with your significant other, you shouldn't be in a pavilion taking up space watching Rick Astley perform. You need to listen outside the pavilion and give your "seat" to a female. It's just the right thing to do.
- Rick talked to the crowd about the humidity in Singapore. **** Tell us something we don't know. He performed all of his hits and a few covers and I must say, I enjoyed the performance.
- Yeah, yeah, yeah. I like Rick Astley.
- When given the choice between watching Shakira or Boy George, I chose Boy George. **** In the interest of full disclosure, I'd already seen Shakira perform in 2010 at the NBA All-Star Game in Dallas.
- Boy George looked great! He's on the heavier side these days, but he looks healthy. His eye make-up looked fantastic and he sang all of his hits. Not sure how many other opportunities I'd have going forward to see him perform so I'm happy I seized the moment.
- Shaggy in concert was cool. A guy gave me his wristband so I went to the front of the stage. I'm not a huge Shaggy fan, but he did his hits. I was hoping I'd hear "Freaky Girl", but I didn't. Either I missed it or he didn't perform the track.
- Linkin Park was the final show on Sunday night and the people were out in droves. I'm not a huge Linkin Park fan, but I enjoyed their set. I left it early (i.e. ironically, I think they were playing "Encore") to walk on the race track.
- I watched the F1 qualifying on Saturday night from Zone 1 near the pit.
- I watched the Porsche races from Zone 4 on Sunday.
I watched the final F1 race from Zone 4 as well.
- Don't try to be a hero, bring and wear your earplugs!!!! Thank goodness I had my iPhone earbuds on me or I would've had to buy earplugs. Those F1 cars are loud!!!
- Go to the races hungry. Since this is Singapore, plenty of good food is available and relatively inexpensive. Even if you don't like racing, go there and eat!