Yesterday I was up late trying to figure out a plan to head to Vancouver for the Winter Olympics. So last night, I started taking a closer look at it all. I could do flight easily (i.e. I have a magic chest of airline miles), event tickets were more than reasonable (i.e. I was looking at trying to do hockey all day on Wednesday - yes, Wednesday - yes, TOMORROW), and from what I heard it'd be very easy to walk to Canada Hockey Place based on the hotel recommended to me.
The major reason why I'm not going to Vancouver tomorrow morning is hotel. Hotels are ridiculously expensive out there now and it's tough to justify that kind of expense for something I'm moderately interested in. I'm interested in checking out the Olympics, but not $500/night interested and I don't want a cheaper hotel that's farther out and then to have to fool w/transportation. Normally I'd say forget the hotel, stay out "all" night and then hop the plane the following morning. However, this is Vancouver ~ a city that I've never been to ~ so, flying there for one day for the Olympics seems silly.
Some random thoughts about the Olympics and before any of my readers leave me notes/texts/comments/voicemails, I want to admit that I know nothing about these events. I'm a CASUAL Winter Olympics sportsfan.
- I could/would never figure skate with my brother. It's creepy.
- Meryl Davis DOES look like an Avatar character. This was mentioned to me last night, while at trivia. When I got home I googled it. Evidently, my friend isn't the only one that thinks this way. How cool would it be if she skated blue?!?!
- You don't need judges for ski jumping. There should be no scoring based on "technique". If you go farthest compared to any of the other jumpers, then you WIN. End of story.
- I wish I knew how to ski jump ~ that event is AMAZING. I can't even imagine how fun it must be to soar in the air that far.
- Curling is addictive.
Curling (photo courtesy of my brother
- Whoever put the cameras on the skiers' helmets is BRILLIANT.
- The next Winter Olympics is in Russia.
- I've always wanted to see Russia... Anyone up for an adventure in 2014?
Slow news day.
- Still waiting on the Wizards to buyout Zydrunas. Any day now, people... The deal needs to get done by March 1, so he can be eligible to play in the playoffs.
- Josh Howard is out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL. He injured himself during the Wizards' game last night against the Bulls.
- After playing in 2 games for the Knicks, I saw that Tracy McGrady has "knee pain". That's unfortunate for Knicks' fans, but it's no secret that T-Mac has a history of getting hurt and missing many games. I hate to say, "I told you so"... Sure, he showed flashes of previous glory, but the man just seems injury prone. I saw him, most recently (i.e. January 2010), sitting near the baseline at the Duke v Georgetown game at the Verizon Center. Incidentally, he was being praised, during the game, for his humanitarian efforts. I can respect that.
- Oh, did you know that T-Mac is Vince Carter's cousin... He's also "injury prone"... Just sayin'... :-P
T-Mac sitting baseline
Maybe you and/or T-Mac can sit in a NY Knick DreamSeat...
The Cavs are losing to the New Orleans Hornets right now. It's half-time, and the Cavs are down by 3. Score is 56-53. I predict that they lose AGAIN.
Chris Paul's not playing, because of his kne injury but good to see that he's traveling with the team and staying in the mix of things (i.e. heading to shoot around etc.). Here's hoping he has a successful and speedy recovery/rehabiliation.
Jayson Williams was sentenced to 5 years in prison for shooting his limo driver in 2002. This Jayson Williams is not "White Chocolate" nor "Duke Jason". I remember this story back in 2002. I can't believe it's been 8 years. I'm not going to get into details, because you can read them for yourself ~ http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4938372.
This is a sad story for everyone involved. Maybe now, there can be some peace in his life and for the victim's family. The whole situation is incredibly unfortunate, and from all I've read and seen, I truly believe that it was an accident on William's part. Jayson Williams is eligible for parole in 18 months.
That's all I have.
I'm surprised that you are not more into the Olympics! I'm guessing that you like the Summer better than the Winter Games…ReplyDelete
I have a cousin who lives in Vancouver, near downtown. Unfortunately, her house is already full of guests! :(
i'm pre-occupied with basketball right now. however, i'm definitely enjoying watching the olympics on tv. if i'd planned better and didn't already have things that i want to do this weekend and people i want to see, i'd hop on the plane...
you're correct. i'm much more interested in the summer olympics and would love to return to london for the upcoming games!
Great Blog Sarah! For some reason, i just found it today. Thanks for getting me thru the 2H of my day!ReplyDelete
anytime! happy you enjoyed it :-PReplyDelete