Sample Pocket Casino screen
The Venetian now offers in-gaming wagers using Pocket Casino. It's a hand-held device that lets people wager on fluctuating money lines, over/unders, for halves and for the game (i.e. the odds are ALWAYS changing). People can also wager on whether free throws are made or missed (e.g. 0-2, 1-2, 2-2). Not all bets are available at all times and to reiterate the odds and spreads change constantly. Therefore, you have to be quick to place and confirm your bets.
In order to use the machine, you must complete and application form and have a Grazie (i.e. Palazzo and/or Venetian loyalty card).
- Once approved you deposit cash with a Supervisor and for a limited time you also receive a $20 credit. For all you "Bad luck, Bettys/Bobs" out there ~ since you're using cash and not credit, you have a limit as to how much you can lose.
- You can hedge your bets off the board, with your in-gaming wagers if you're quick and savvy, since you can take advantage of momentum shifts, injuries, and fouls.
- Minimum bet is $5. I have no idea what the minimum sportsbook bet since I don't bet on horses. ****OK ~ I'll admit that I have bet on horses once, and I won about $26. However, I would NEVER be caught placing a $5 wager on any sporting event at a counter.
- For a good free-throw shooting team, you can easily make some money and put your money where your mouth is as to whether the player makes/misses the shot. When I was up $100, I quickly found myself betting $20/$50 a free throw (i.e. of course, the payout isn't 1:1, but a profit is a profit).
- The machines only work in designated gaming areas and there's a map on the pamphlet that specifies the areas in the casino.
- The hand-held is glitchy and makes you login with your Grazie number and a password when it loses its connection.
- The battery life for the device isn't that great. I'd estimate 1-2 hours if you constantly bet and/or the screen is illuminated.
- Since the battery life isn't that long, you will have to exchange your machine repeatedly. You don't need to wait in line for this, but depending on demand for the device ~ your new machine may not be fully-charged when you receive it. Unfortunately, the machines don't charge as quickly as they're swapped in and out.
- Not all games are available on the device. I'm not sure how games are chosen, but I do know that I wanted to wager on the Kansas game, and it wasn't available.
- The only sport that was available and active, was college basketball. However, if I remember correctly professional basketball and hockey etc, were listed as options ~ so it does look like the functionality will be expanded.
Supervisor - Pocket Casino (The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino)
Date: 2010-03-18, 2:27PM PDT
Reply to: see below
The Supervisor Pocket Casino will serve as the primary access point in meeting the needs of the guests and the pocketcasino ambassadors. This may include telemarketing, intense guest interactions to resolve service breakdowns and promote guest recovery and player analysis. All duties are to be performed in accordance within departmental and The Venetian Casino Resort’s policies, practices, and procedures.
Supervisor Pocket Casino will be able to:
Stand for extended periods of time in one location
Roam the casino floor, pool deck and sports bar in varying hot or cold conditions.
Navigate high traffic and crowded areas efficiently
Efficiently and accurately enter data into a computer with a high degree of detail oriented confidence
Efficiently and accurately conduct large cash transactions
Be able to work any shift as needed with limited notice
Be available for extended shifts as needed for special events and marketing opportunities
Be confident and outgoing during telemarketing interactions with guests
Be competent with MS Excel, MS Word, Outlook.
Own a high level of confidence in learning additional software and hardware pieces as needed.
Must be personable and able to effectively move guest service disputes toward resolution and guest recovery.
Scheduling in a fluid work environment with multiple team members and assignments
Owning and resolving guest service issues including those not directly involved with pocketcasino dept.
Monitoring the performance of pocketcasino ambassadors in the casino, pool and sportbook areas to ensure 5-diamond service is consistent.
Interpersonal Marketing and guest interception in gaming, sportsbook and pool areas
Telemarketing and Player recapture including cold calls and player analysis and marketing to drive repeat business
Moderate technical assistance with pocketcasino devices and computer systems.
Monitoring and interacting with external marketing devices, agencies, and their employees.
Ensuring appropriate levels of supplies are maintained in the department including marketing collateral, general office supplies and other tools as needed.
Monitoring payroll of internal staff to ensure accurate compensation to VCR Team Members (and any external contractors or marketing assets as needed)
Maintaining, tracking and monitoring of all funds accountability to the pocketcasino ambassadors.
Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal guidelines as pertains to the department and position including Nevada Gaming Control Board and FinCen (Title 31)
Monitor Ambassadors for compliance with all department and resort policies including attendance, variances, dress code, hospitality standards and department service standards
Must be confident and assertive in coaching and counseling ambassadors as needed to ensure performance and service levels are maintained.
Minimum Employment Requirements:
21 years of age, proof of authorization/eligibility to work in the United States, High School Diploma or equivalent, ability to communicate effectively in a positive/upbeat fashion utilizing English; both in oral and written form, interpersonal skills with focused attention to guest needs to deal effectively with all business contacts, maintain a professional, neat and well-groomed appearance adhering to VCR appearance standards, maintain consistent adherence to the VCR Unmatched Guest Service Standards, work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays. Ability to lift or carry a minimum of 20 pounds, unassisted, in the performance of specific tasks assigned. Must be able to work with others, communicate well, give direction, review the work of others, and provide guidance and counsel when needed to achieve department goals and objectives. Must maintain a positive attitude toward work and interface with hotel guests in a congenial and polite manner. Must be able to address stressful situations with clients with dignity and the utmost tact and politeness. Must be able to touch and handle supplies in a safe and non-hazardous manner, maintaining proper hygiene, cleanliness, and disposal methods
Specific Position Requirements:
4+ years in Supervisory position in a hotel resort based industry. 4+ years in a fast paced hotel resort environment focused on repeat business and endpoint guest satisfaction including hotel, casino, resort services, concierge services or casino marketing. College degree in marketing, communication, hotel preferred. Must be able to obtain and maintain a gaming card, health card, TAM card or other local, state or federal licensing requirements
To apply for this position and to view all current career opportunities, please go to:
Location: The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Moral of the story, if you're in the Venetian sportsbook or a designated gaming area and you're a patient person (i.e. you have to deal with the technological issues), check out Pocket Casino. Seriously... What do you have to lose?!?!
Interesting device—have you seen something similar at other casinos?ReplyDelete
They should make an app, or loan out dedicated iPod touch with a special app!
I have not seen anything like it at other casinos. I think loaning out an iPod touch is risky though because, it could be stolen. The current device doesn't pose a "flight risk" because it's glitchy and won't "work" unless you're in a specified gaming area.ReplyDelete
This little tool is going to take online gaming to a whole new level.Accessibility is key,and this makes gaming very accessible.Technomate Switch is used to combine two universal LNB's onto one cable and then switch between them.ReplyDelete
i just googled "technomate switch"... interesting!ReplyDelete